Monday, March 2, 2009

Lysistrata

My senses were assaulted. Never mind, the blatant references to sexual positions, the grabbing of breasts, those things I was prepared for. But for Sarah Ruden to use the words "freaking, honey, and dildo," I was certainly unprepared for. Researching further into this woman's life and background I found that surprisingly she is a Quaker and is not only the translator of this text but also our Homeric Hymns. Obviously, I think Dr. Sexson is a fan of Ruden's using not one but two of her translations so I shall tread lightly.

I enjoy myth. I enjoy reading Greek plays and have indeed read many throughout my experience of school. Therefore I have to absolutely reject Lysistrata in this form. I swear I tried, I read page after page but nothing got any better. As Sarah Ruden concedes in the beginning Greek is a hard language to translate, many of their phrases just can't be put into English words, I understand. But to be presented with something spoken so commonly, so not my idea of English (though I must admit I often wish Shakespeare to be written so plainly), it is almost an insult to every translator before this.

OK, done with that rant on to my second. I almost respect what Lysistrata is about and to be honest I don't have much authority to pass judgement because I have not finished the book yet. But, the beginning of the play reads like a ten year old boys fantasy. Ceremonies that only women can attend leaving the men to configure what the will about them and boy does Aristophanes ever. Half the time I was expecting the women to jump each other. The other half I was laughing to myself thinking that the Greek men must be delusional to think women would go this mad over an embargo on sexual relations. Dear Greeks, you weren't THAT good. Here is proof though I am sorry this is the only source I could find: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,325353,00.html.

So when I finally see a shining beacon of hope, a shimmer of feminism, but I cannot even enjoy it. Lysistrata proclaims that she and her women have taken the town's money and have it in safe keeping which infuriates the men. To which she responds "It's management...what's so strange in that? You let us women do the budgeting at home." A wonderful argument and it is carried even further, but by then I was too displeased to care. So I stopped reading Lysistrata knowing fully well I was not being fair, and decided to try again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Hi. . .I'm going around asking everybody if they want to meet this Sunday afternoon to talk about our project. Go through some ideas and outline what we'd like to do and decide who would like to do what- I'd prefer to get some of this stuff going now but I can wait until after Spring Break if people would rather. So, yeah. . what do you think? my email is bizzybumblebee@hotmail.com and my # is 208-520-8073

    ReplyDelete