Monday, March 9, 2009

A Jumbled Blog of Sorts

This blog is going to be sort of a jumble because this week is turning out fairly hectic for me.
First to note I have not yet written about a bad day because I have not experienced an exceptionally bad day...yet. But do note that when it happens I will be sure to blog all about it as a sort of therapeutic measure. Secondly, I have also not yet harassed an old person because I find it to be a cruel matter but will try and do my best in the following weeks. So now, onto the actual content.

I'll start you off with a couple definitions we have received in the past few days:
flytina-arguement
phallocentric- definition from Purdue University- PHALLOCENTRISM OR PHALLOGOCENTRISM: The privileging of the masculine (the phallus) in understanding meaning or social relations. This term evolved from deconstructionists who questioned the "logocentrism" of Western literature and thought, i.e. the belief in the centrality of logos, understood as cosmic reason (affirmed in ancient Greek philosophy as the source of world order and intelligibility) or, in the Christian version, the self-revealing thought and will of God. The term is also associated with Lacanian psychoanalysis, which understands the entrance of subjects into language as a negotiation of the phallus and the Name of the Father. (See the modules on Lacan.) Feminists illustrate how all Western languages, in all their features, are utterly and irredeemably male-engendered, male-constituted, and male-dominated. Discourse is "phallogocentric" because it is centered and organized throughout by implicit recourse to the phallus both as its supposed ground (or logos) and as its prime signifier and power source; and not only in its vocabulary and syntax, but also in its rigorous rules of logic, its proclivity for fixed classifications and oppositions, and its criteria for what we take to be valid evidence and objective knowledge.

Parabasis-(in ancient Greek drama) a choral ode addressed to the audience, esp. of comedy, and independent of the action of the play: usually following the agon and, in the earliest forms of comedy, serving often to end the play. from dictionary.com

Finally, I will discuss a fond memory I have about hurling insults a la old comedy. On Saturday mornings I would wake up early before my weekend soccer game and go down to the living room to watch television with my father. This was a weekly ritual of sorts and one that I will cherish for all my life. So what does this have to do with insults you ask? Well me and my father often enjoyed hurling them back and forth in a childish humorous manner. Things like, "you're stupid, stupider, stupidest. You don't know dominions..." etc. could often be heard over the sound of the television and our accompanied laughter. So though we were not as serious or creative as in Lysistrata we certainly enjoyed ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment